Kawasan falls canyoneering is a very famous activity for both local and foreign travelers. The whole activity will take around 3 hours but can take 4 hours for a bigger group. You can choose between downstream canyoneering which is from Kanlaob River in Algeria to Kawasan Falls or upstream canyoneering, Kawasan Falls to Kanlaob River. If you are a beginner, I suggest downstream first since upstream is pretty difficult. In downstream, you'll be jumping, swimming and walking while in upstream, replace that jump with a climb.
Getting to Kawasan falls from Cebu City?
Get a taxi or any public transportation that can take you to Cebu South Bus Terminal (a few blocks from E-Mall and Colon).
At the Cebu South Bus Terminal, you can then take a bus ride to Bato via Barili and jump off at Kawasan Falls in Badian which usually costs around PHP120 (around $2). Travel time is about 2-3 hours depending on traffic and the speed of the bus.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Make sure you took the bus that goes to Bato via Barili since the other bus that goes to Bato via Oslob will never pass Badian.
Inform the driver or bus conductor to drop you off at the Matutinao Church in Badian. Ask the locals there where you can possibly take the canyoneering activity, they will absolutely lead you to the place where you can register to do the canyoneering.
- Most of the tours will recommend you to a morning start as it takes 3-5 hours to finish the activity. The last possible time to start is around 2 or 3 pm so that you can finish Canyoning before sunset.
- Wear trainers, strapped shoes or rent some water booties for 20PHP (prices will vary with different companies) since there will be lots of slippery rocks on the trail.
- There’s a BBQ stand and the smell of it will absolute entice you to buy. Chicken, Pork Skewers, Sausages are 50 PHP ($1) and there’s soft drinks too!
- Your guide will take a dry bag that you can pop essentials in, but otherwise you are welcome to bring your own.
- Take a GoPro with you or you can rent one, just ask where you can possibly rent a GoPro. A lot of epic and stunning views that is worth taking pics for in the area, most of them are instagram-worthy!
- Have an extra battery with you on your dry bags, your guide can hold it for you.
- When you reach Kawasan Falls, you can eat foods again since there’s a lot of foods for sale in the area. You can chill and relax here after a long trekking, climbing and jumping.
- You can rent a bamboo raft that can take you around the turquoise pool and even under the waterfalls!
Things to remember for your Kawasan Falls Canyoneering Adventure:
- DON’T just jump anywhere you feel, wait for your guide to tell you when to jump and when not to.
- DON’T throw your trash anywhere, please! Just put it in your pocket, and throw it afterwards when you see a trash bin. A little act like this will absolutely help the community keep the area clean.
- DON’T bring unnecessary gadgets and also cards such as ATMs, credit and debit cards. You won’t get to use it in the area anyways.